Women can preserve their fertility:
- Before cancer and other treatments that might impact fertility. Eggs, embryos and ovarian tissue can be frozen for people who face losing their fertility because of cancer treatment or another reason. We can offer fertility preservation at short notice prior to cancer treatment.
- Or by egg freezing: for women who think their fertility may decline before they are ready to have children. The right time to try to have a baby depends on your unique circumstances. It's an incredibly personal decision. If you're not in a position to try for a baby now, egg freezing may be an option to help preserve your fertility. More
- Or embryo freezing: If a woman has a partner, it is better to freeze embryos than eggs. Embryo freezing has been around longer than egg freezing and clinics have a lot more experience with embryo freezing as it is part of routine IVF treatment.
Ovarian Tissue Cryopreservation: This technique involves removing one or both ovaries surgically and freezing thin slices of ovarian tissue. The slices are transplanted back to the women once cancer treatment has finished.
Preparation - if freezing before treatment
Most people facing fertility preservation before treatment (eggs, embryos or ovarian tissue) won’t have enough time to make changes to lifestyle or to follow the tips for becoming ‘fertility fit’ If you do have time before egg freezing, the key messages are:
- stop smoking
- take folic acid
- reduce caffeine and alcohol
- discuss medications with your doctor
Speak to our fertility specialists - Our doctors are here when you want to explore issues arising from storing sperm, eggs, or embryos, and when you need support.
Good to know
- Storage time limit: Malaysia Medical Council guidelines limit storage of sperm, eggs or embryos to a maximum of five (5) years initially, which can be extended up to ten (10) years upon written request before you reach the ten year limit.
- Consent:You will need to sign a consent form as part of storing sperm, eggs or embryos.
- Contact information: Keep your contact details up to date with the clinic so we can get in touch with you - using the form below.
- Cryopreservation maintenance: Annual cryopreservation maintenance charges are applicable for storage of your sperm, eggs or embryos. We may discard material if you default in paying storage fees, or we can’t contact you after six (6) months.