Tips for supporting someone through fertility treatment
Advice for partners
Here are some simple ways to show support and care for a partner undergoing fertility treatment:
- Organise something indulgent for your partner.
- Offer to help with injections and reminders.
- Come to as many appointments and scans as reasonably possible.
- Respect their privacy in regards to treatment – perhaps decide who you are going to tell and what you are going to tell them before treatment starts.
- Don’t pack the household calendar with too many social events.
- Ask your partner what you can do to help.
- If you already have children, remember the fertility medications may make your partner extra tired and possibly not as even-tempered as normal!
- Perhaps organise some extra help around the house.
- Most importantly, remember that you are doing this together and your relationship is the most important thing. Making time to do things together that you enjoyed before treatment can help immensely.
Advice for family and friends
If you wish to support a loved one who’s having fertility treatment, it’s a good idea to:
- Ask them what you can do to help.
- Respect their privacy – don’t tell everyone what your son, daughter or friend is going through.
- Learn a little bit about the process, so you can understand and empathise. Our ‘Fertility Language’ page is a good place to start.